Friday 6 March 2015

Influential Event


Ironically, this event that impacted me was an idea that I was not keen in at the start. It was a youth camp organized by my church and I was recommended to help as an assistant leader in one of the subgroups. I was not keen on that idea as camp means deprived sleep, activities that are physically strenuous and under the hot sun. To be a leader also means that I would have to encourage my group mates to be excited even when it is hard for me and leading people who are older than me. Anyhow, I decided to take on the challenge and constantly push myself out there to lead cheers and do embarrassing actions.

In this camp, I was given the opportunity to create a remix for our group’s final performance, but I overslept and had to rush out the soundtrack as the camp carried on. It was very stressful as they needed the soundtrack to practice for the performance. In the end, I manage to complete it before the performance night and the other leaders were also very accepting and encouraging to me despite of my mistake. What touched my heart even more is that the group under my care was influence by this camp and one of my group members even shared with me that how my words encourage her to change her mindset and eventually change the negative situation that she was in.


This whole camp taught me that it is okay to make mistakes and not to belittle my ability. From then on, I constantly challenge myself to step out of my comfort zone as I believe that I am able to grow more when I am placed in such positions.  

(289 words)

2 comments:

  1. I think that the event described above was an important to Anvis. Through this event, she learnt more about how she should not belittle her own abilities and how it is fine to make mistakes. It allows to her constantly challenge herself by stepping out of her comfort zone to achieve personal growth
    This reflection is written with "heart" because it is written as a first person recount. She is able to write about her feelings as well as how the people reacted to her actions. She written in her reflection about her growth in character through this event. I personally feel that this is only made possible if she has really related this event from her heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful learning experience, Anvis!

    ReplyDelete